Saturday, January 11, 2014

I Love You - shaped accordian card featuring Creative Cafe' - January KOM

Hi Everyone!
I'm have an accordian card to share today - with a little extra fun as it also has some 'shape' to it!  I can't take credit for this design and unfortunately I don't recall where I first saw it.  I just was reminded of it when I went through my files of card ideas.

Here's my card -   today I'm featuring the BoBunny Love Letters' 6x6 paper pad and the stampset "For the Love of Cats and Dogs" - both found in this month's Creative Cafe' Kit of the month.


To begin, here are my cut measurements for the base card:
1- base from Kraft cardstock- 3 5/8" x 11"
2- Black cardstock- 3 1/2" square
1- Kraft cardstock - 3 1/2" square
3- using different patterns from the pad - 3 1/4" square  - these will be shaped to form the 'I', 'heart', and 'U'

Now that I have cut my cardbase - using my Scor-Buddy, I scored in at the black arrow mark following the 3" mark.  I'ts about 3 5/8".   For my second score line I flipped my card base and scored in the same manner now in from the other end.
 
 

This will give you your accordian fold, as seen below.  I've also gathered more of my cut pieces I will use to assemble my card.  From left to right you can see I've laid out how each section wilth their cut papers.  You can see I already shaped the center section 'Heart' using my classic smooth and scallop nesting heart dies.
 
 
To continue shaping - next I'll take you through the 'I' which is the first section.  For this I used my Envelope Punch Board to creat the inside cuts of the ' I '.

Starting with the card base- I turned it so I could place the short end under the punch area lining the left edge with 1 mark.  Once positioned 'punch' the button- creating a 'divit'.

 
Flip and do the other side working in from each end and you'll have a piece that looks like this.

 
Next I'm going to cut away the center tab- so I lined it up with the cut line of my trimmer - and cut just that center section.

 
So you have this first side shaped.  Can you see the ' I ' starting to take shape?  Repeat this same process for the other side, only this one will be done on the fold - the top and bottom will stay connected.  
 
 
Repeat again with your black layer 3 1/2" x 3 1/2", and again with one of the decorative pieces cut at 3 1/4" x 3 1/4".

For the end section which is ' U '-  I am using my window punch to assist me in creating the open center area to shape the letter ' U '.  -  This is also repeated with the black background piece, and polka-dot patterned paper.  I free hand these a bit so they would be cut-away more to see the layers.  This doesn't have to be perfect since I am placing a stamped image over the lower portion of the curve.
 
 Once I got everything cut -I got busy assembling!
 
Here's a closup- view of the first two sections.  I tied some red ribbon from the kit around the layered piece before I placed it down on my card base.  From there I placed my sentiment stamped and punched and ready to go.  I added a heart and my 2 stick-pins went into my bow on of my ribbon. 
 
Next the heart area was already to attach to the center section.  I first laid down the kraft piece cut at 3 5/8" squared so I could cover up the punched indent made from the ' I ' on the other side.  After attaching my heart so one side was flat against the edge of the card- I took my scissors and freehand cut away the top portion of the heart.  I added more diecut hearts in black and a stamped pair of kitties' along with the sentiment 'have a purrfect day' from the kit.  Both stamped on Kraft cardstock.  I used my W1 copic marker to add some shading to the kittens and giving them more dimension.
 
 
Here's a look at the last section assmbled.  To finish the bottom edge of my ' U ' I took, my largest corner rounder- it has a very gradual curve, and rounded off the edges of the just the black piece and the polka-dot papers.  The card base is left alone.
Tip:  you could use a glass for this too to help you get the curve right. 

 
Once the bottom edge was shaped I started adhereing the layers, and finished by adhering both layers to the base.  I tied another piece of ribbon around the top RH section of the ' U ', and slipped one of the wire 'Love' clips onto the ribbon.  I stamped another image of the 2 kitties together again on Kraft cardstock, fussy cut it out and placed it the base curve of the ' U ' with dimensional adhesive. I placed another black diecut heart with a gem-stone heart also popped with a dimensional adhesive.  To finish this section I stamped the phrase "you've stolen my heart" directly on the polka-dot patterned paper.
 
Here's another look at my finished card.
 
 
Thanks for stopping by - I hope you've been enjoying this month's kit - the Design Team has come up with some amazing cards and tags this month, so be sure to keep checking back each day!

Supplies:
Ink: Black Archival Ink
Adhesives:  The Rubber Cafe'  Scrap Happy Glue
Embellishments: Ribbon; metal clip; and heart gem stone all found in the kit
Tools/Dies/Punches: Envelope Maker Punch board; Spellbinder Plain and Scallop nesting hearts; SU -Window punch; Fancy label punch.
  

2 comments:

Dawn Carlyle said...

Wow - what a cute card. Love the layout! So creative....

Dina Kowal said...

Soooo cute -- love your tips for shaping the letters. Here's a link to the original tutorial: Word Card