Saturday, May 9, 2015

Travel Journal Tutorial - Featuring Creative Cafe' kit for May

Happy Saturday Everyone! Today I want to share with you a quick tutorial on how I created a Travel Journal using a purchased notebook from my local grocery store office supply area. Here's a look at the front of my finished book - the ribbon you see coming out of it at the bottom is a bookmark I inserted along the way! 


Follow along with me if you want to see how I created this.  Below you can see a picture of my purchased notebook.  This measures 5 x 7.5- so to create my cover I used the full side of the 8 1/2 cardstock and cut in my pieces in the following way.
You will need two covers and two back cover pieces.
I used light blue piece for the inside and the misti aqua piece for the fronts.
They are the same height 8 1/2" but the outside misti aqua piece is cut at 4 1/2" and the insides light blue pieces are cut at 5".
So Misti Aqua- (2) 5 x 8 1/2"
     Light Blue (2) 4 1/2 x 8 1/2"

You want enough of an over lap to the original cover, of the notepad so you can seam it with strong redline tape and have plenty of room to slide your covers front and back onto the notebook. You can see the front cover next to my notebook in the picture above.  Cutting the front 1/2" narrower, makes it easier to accommodate for the spiral portion, and we will be creating a simple spine next to cover that.


Next I cut (2) more pieces of the Misti Aqua, this time 4 x 8 each.  These are going on the front and back cover, and are the pieces that I want to add texture to using the Texture envelope in the kit and my Big Shot.


Here's where it gets a little interesting, most texture envelopes, (including this one) measure to fit a standard A2 card, 4 1/4 x 5 1/2- so I knew I would not get all 8 inches of my front and back pieces covered.  So I decided to center my cut pieces so that I had about 1 1/2" left plain at the top and bottom.  With the fold in the envelope, you can't do this so to accommodate that I cut my envelope apart gasp!!  I know I will say it again, I cut it apart right at the fold.  In the picture below you can see that I anchored each side using my low tacky green painters tape, so I cold be sure I had it centered and that the back side met up with the front when I ran it through my Big Shot.


It worked great and I was careful to place the Darice logo at the top, and it embossed both pieces like a dream. Before I put my folder away, I took the pieces of tape and taped it over the top fold creating a new hinge.  I inked those areas of the embossing with Antique Linen distress ink, allowing more of the pattern to show through.

Next comes the spine- it is cut at 7 x 8- I wanted to have enough overlap so that the spine would note slip out.
Taking my Score-Pal, I than found the center at 3 1/2" and scored a line- I then did 1/8" inch intervals on either side to give me a nice way to create a curved area that will nicely cover my spine, and spiral portion of the notebook.


I finished decorating my covers using papers from the 6x6 pad Hello World from the kit.  I stamped and paper-pieced the Globe stamp and I used a couple of my mover shaper dies from Tim Holtz (postage stamp and pointing hand) to add some additional embellishments.  I wanted to have a closure so on the front I used one of the buttons in the kit, and raised it up a little more with a dimensional dot. 


For the back - I cut 1/2" circles, and used my Crop-o'-dile to set two eyelets on each 1/2' circle. As you can see below. The eyelets were set through just the top layer of the back.  Next taking the cloth covered wire I looped it around and across to keep my journal closed.  I like the wire as it will conform to however fat my book becomes with stuff inside.

 

After everything was done I had adhered my textured pieces to the front and back, I felt like it needed more Distress Ink, and added in Vintage Photo.  In some areas it got thicker then I wanted, but I think it showed off the elements of the texture plate more.
 Below is a closer look at the embellishments I created.

And another look at my finished journal

I have plans for the inside of my journal too- but you'll  have to check back next week to see that!
Thanks for stopping by-
Supplies:
Stamps: The Rubber Cafe'- Creative Cafe' Kit
Paper: The Rubber Cafe'- Creative Cafe' Kit- MME- Hello World
Ink: Memento Espresso Truffle; Antique Linen, Vintage Photo Distress inks
Embellishments: Cloth wrapped wire; ribbon; and button from the kit
Adhesives:  The Rubber Cafe'- Score Tape; and Redline tape
Tools: Darice Texture envelope- from the kit; Corner rounder 3/8" corner chomper from WeRMemory Keepers.  Tim Holtz Sizzix, Mover and Shaper dies; postage stamp and pointing hand.



No comments: